The Department emerged as a Honours Department in the year 1979 under the able guidance of very efficient and learned teachers and skilled assistants.
• Both Honours and General courses are offered under 1+1+1 system and CBCS system by the Department.
• Departmental library/seminar library offers students to issue books and enhancet their knowledge.
All the teachers of the Department are actively involved in the research activities and regularly publish their research articles in National and international journals. All the teachers enhance their skills and get updated by attending refresher courses, orientation programmes, workshops, seminars etc. Dr. Shubhendu Bikash Patra works in the field of environmental biology and fish biology while Smt. Debasree Golder extends her contribution in the field of environmental toxicity, ecology and fish biology. Dr. Madhumita Roy presently working in the field of Ecology, system biology and Ecological Modelling.
• Zoology Department is consistent enough to produce students with first class marks and even university rank holders carrying their career further in higher studies and research.
a. Academic activity: The department organizes Educationl field tour every year to enrich the knowledge of the students about the vast diversity of the Biological world at different ecological conditions. Under the guidance of the teachers, students also explore the faunal diversity in and around the college and local areas.
• Field activity by the Department
• Plankton analysis of Binhooghly lake
• Study of coastal biodiversity at Mandarmoni and Tajpur
• Study of mangrove floral and faunal diversity of Sundarban
• Field techniques and analysis of soil arthropod diversity at Kuldiha Forest And Panchaligeswar
Through college placement cell this year Honours students and bio general students has got placement in reputed pharmaceutical company and educational institute.